PRAYER REQUESTS

PRAYER REQUESTS

- Peace for Shawn and I, for Kyle and Miranda and Braden and Connor, for our parents and siblings and nieces and nephews and inner circle friends watching and hurting as we go through this
- that God would keep soft our children's hearts toward Him through all the emotions of this hard journey
- strength and stamina; physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually
- that the cancer shrinks to gone, gone, gone!
- gentle side effects to this second round of chemo
- family unity, harmony, love, strength, joy, happiness
- anything else you feel God puts on your heart


Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Chemo Round 2: Cycle 2: Clinic Day

Tomorrow starts Cycle 2 of this round of chemo.

This morning Mom and I headed EARLY into Vancouver for my 8:30 blood work appointment and 10:00am Clinic appointment (nurse and doctor).  I also took pre-meds for chemo.

We ended up waiting over an hour as nurses came in and out for the clinic portion of my appointment.  We don't usually wait that long.  Turns out my hemoglobin is waaaaay down.  Like, it's usually 120 and I'm at 79.  That is "really, very low" said my nurse.  I can't have chemo under 92.   Bummer.

So tomorrow I will have trial drug only.  That's great news.  I'm glad we can at least go ahead with the trial drug.  Cancer drugs like to stay on schedule.  The reason we were waiting so long to see the doctor is because my sweet clinic nurse had to read through the entire trial binder (it's all the rules and ins and outs of my trial... a fairly thick book) to find out the rules about having just trial drug tomorrow instead of chemo + trial drug.  She also has to phone the head of the trial to be sure that it's okay to have chemo next week instead.  In the middle of this I need a blood transfusion.

I think it is sweet that, each of the now three times that I will have had a transfusion, the nurse warns you once or twice that you probably need one... sort of prepping you for when the poor doctor has to come in and 'break the news to you'.  People must really freak out about getting blood transfusions.  Me, when Dr. told me I needed one, said, 'Yippeeeeee!'   Hello!   Something to boost this constant haven't-slept-in-three-days feeling out of me... yes, please!   It's just funny to me every time.  I am grateful, and I see how my entire life has been this and prepped me for cancer journey, that I just roll with these sorts of things and don't overthink them.

So... tomorrow is back to Vancouver for trial drug (yay!!!  I want the trial drug so am glad we aren't delaying that).  Friday needs to be blood transfusion (that will be an 8 hours day and in my own home town hospital... thank you Dr. for arranging for a local transfusion, you rock!!!).  Monday is a stat holiday for Remembrance Day.  Next Tuesday is Vancouver and then Wednesday will be chemo + trial drug (we hope).

And hey, between the blood transfusion and the not-chemo tomorrow, I'm gonna have all sorts of energy!  Awesome!!!

I was saying to the nurse, "It kind of has felt like 'the 7 plagues' this last few days... I was counting and could come up with six and sort of seven..." and she said, "well, your numbers are really low, that can be your 7!" and we all cheered, "yay!!! done!  Now onto the good stuff!"   [smile]

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad for the update. It will be a different week than u expected...and I hope u find some good energizing moments and some unexpected things of the yahoo variety! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog almost daily and think of you and your family more often than you can imagine. Your faith, your friends and your family are your salvation. Keep smiling. So many people are on this journey with you.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete

Connecting through comments: